Taking The Right Steps After An Accident
After an accident has happened, it’s very important to take the right steps so that you are protected. Following these steps will help to ensure that you are acting wisely and that you will be in good legal standing after your accident.
Obtain the driver’s license and proof of insurance from everyone involved in the accident. A photo taken with a cell phone can be used as proof of documentation.
Take photos of the accident scene, as well as any damage to the cars involved. This must be done at the scene, so you are not blamed for any other damage to the other party’s car that might happen after your accident.
Get contact information from any witnesses at the scene. A good witness is invaluable in protecting yourself and proving your case.
*Get medical care from a local doctor for minor injuries. If you have serious injuries, go to the hospital.
Call the police and tell them the facts of what happened. File a police report detailing the events surrounding the accident.
Take extensive notes on everything that happened, including whether anyone appeared to be intoxicated. These notes are very important in building your case and protecting yourself.
Given that an accident is a chaotic and confusing situation, it’s important to have a short checklist of these tips on hand in a convenient place. These are the key points and the most important actions to take in case you should be involved in an accident.
- Keep this short Car Accident Checklist on hand in a safe place in the car.
- Ask every driver to give their proof of insurance, driver’s license and any other pertinent information.
- Take clear photos of the accident scene, with a record of damage to the cars.
- Interview witnesses on the scene and be sure to get their names and phone numbers.
- Get medical attention for injuries immediately, at a hospital or doctor’s office.
- Call the police and be sure to file a report of the accident.
- Do not speak to insurance adjusters or give any type of a statement.
Yes, there’s no question an accident is a frightening and confusing experience, and on today’s crowded roads, the odds of an accident taking place are getting higher and higher all the time. An accident is a shocking experience, and it send the victim into a legal system that few are adequately prepared to deal with.
It’s important to know, however, that there is nothing to fear from the legal system once you have expert and knowledgeable representation taking care of you and your case. Our Los Angeles Attorney Group is dedicated to serving our client’s needs and ensuring that you are protected to the full extent of the law.
If you have been in an accident, call our office for a free consultation today. We are committing to serving you and protecting your rights.